Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Arriving in Arizona - Posted by Shabiha Nishi

Today is the day! The day that we travel to Arizona to study tiny forest owls. I have been waiting for this week since last year. My name is Nishi and I am in 12th grade. As soon as I heard about this opportunity, I knew I wanted to be part of this amazing trip. I love traveling, doing photography, and learning science. What other way would I have spent my last spring break in high school? Nothing beats traveling to a beautiful state with the teachers and friends that you love.


Our team assembled at LaGuardia Airport and took a 5 hour flight to Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) Airport. At first I was a bit nervous as I haven’t been on a plane in over 6 years, but I was fine. However, when we landed in Dallas, almost every team member was complaining how they felt nauseous. I thought to myself “Wow, I’m glad I’m not the only one.” As always, airports aren’t reliable, so our flight was delayed 4 times! I wasn’t complaining though because that gave me extra time to eat frozen yogurt (yummmm). The flight from DFW to Tucson International Airport (TUS) was much better. I woke up from a nap only to witness one of the most beautiful sunsets I’ve ever seen. The pinkish/orangey sky is something a picture can’t do justice for. It’s just one of those things you have to see in real life to truly appreciate it. I also saw these huge circular areas of land from the plane. I Googled it and found out it’s a center pivot irrigation, which is a circular area centered on the pivot that is irrigated, often creating a circular pattern in crops when viewed from above.



As soon as we got out of the Tucson Airport, I saw huge cacti triple the size of me. You could definitely tell we weren’t from Arizona because we were all looking at the cacti in awe. We got a little lost on the way to our hotel. A man in a van pulled up out of nowhere to help us reach our destination and all I hear in the background is Kayla going “uh uh”. We were all dying of laughter because as New Yorkers, a van pulling up to you never means good business, but we forgot we were in Arizona and people are here to help (lol).



After a long day of travel, we finally checked into our hotels. The best part was that we all got free cookies. I am so happy to be here and this is the coolest way to spend my break. As a photographer, it is a dream to be somewhere as beautiful as Arizona. I’m having a great time capturing pictures and I can’t wait for the rest of the week!


No comments:

Post a Comment